1. ACCEPTANCE. With the registration the athlete chooses one of the 4 courses and accepts the rules and regulations of completing the race. The athlete is obliged to respect the regulations and to obey the orders of the race organizational committee and the judges. Is aware that he/she will run in natural environment in the mountains with anomalous terrain and will be exposed to the whether conditions that will occur in the region on the day of the race.
2. AGE. The athletes can take part in the race if they are men or women older then 18 years old on the day of the race.
Olive Tree Trail– Rain Trail – Corfu Mountain Trail Ultra
Men Senior (41-55)
Men Senior II (55 +)
Women Senior (41+)
4. TIME OF THE RACE
The Corfu Mountain Trail Race will be held on Saturday and Sunday, on May 7-8, 2022. The starts of the courses will be as follows:
QUICK TRAIL (10 km, 500+D). Start and finish in the MESSOGI HOTEL in Messoghi on Sunday, 8/5/2022 at 9.30 am with time limit 3 hours to finish.
OLIVE TREE TRAIL (20 km 1200+D). Start and finish in the MESSOGI HOTEL in Messoghi on Sunday,8/5/2022 at 9.30 am with time limit 5 hours to finish.
RAIN TRAIL (40 km 2200+D). Start and finish in the MESSOGI HOTEL in Messoghi on Saturday, 7/5/2022 at 16.00 pm with time limit 10 hours to finish.
CORFU MOUNTAIN TRAIL ULTRA (112 km 4800+D). Start from the Port of Ipsos at 6.00 am (7/5/2022 Saturday) and finish in the MESSOGI HOTEL in Messoghi with time limit 28 hours to finish.
5. REGISTRATION FEES are the following:
QUICK TRAIL (10 km)
15€ until 28/4/2022
OLIVE TREE TRAIL (20 km)
25€ until 28/4/2022
RAIN TRAIL (40 km)
35€ until 28/4/2022
CORFU MOUNTAIN TRAIL ULTRA (112 km)
80€ until 28/4/2022
The registration is possible on-line on the official web site of the race, www.corfumountaintrail.com. with credit card. The transaction fees are paid by the athletes. The registration is valid from the time of the payment checked by the organizational committee. In case of cancellation more then 1 month (until 28/4/2022) before the race 80% of the fee is refunded, if cancellation occurs until 10 days before the race 50% of the fee is refunded. If the race is canceled by the race organization for any reason the full amount of the fee is returned in 30 days from the date of the race day. If the the date of the race is transferred the race fee is not refundable. After completing the registration the athletes can change the chosen course only if they contact directly the organizational committee the latest 20 days before the race day.
6. NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS. The maximum number of participants who can take part in the race (in all of the courses) is 600 athletes. The priority order is strictly based on the time of registration. The list of registered athletes will close on May , 2021 even if the number or maximum athletes is not fulfilled. Caution: After the date of 28/4/2022 no other registration is accepted.
7. THE COURSES
The courses of the races follow trails, streams and dirt roads. They are signed all the way.
CORFU MOUNTAIN TRAIL ULTRA (112 km)
The length of the course is 110 km with 5000+D elevation. It starts from Ipsos and heads towards the village of Spartillas at the 5th km with water supply and runs towards Taxiarchi then leads up to the Mountain Pantokratoras, the highest mountain peak of Corfu. After passing the Monastery of Kelia it follows the dirt road downhill until the village of Peritheia at the 12th km, one of the most spectacular points of the island, with food station left to the village. After 9 km of dirt road before a part of asphalt road and in a trail to the right the racers reach the village of Petaleia at the 21st km then continue on dirt road until the village of Episkepsi at the 24th km with water supply. On a trail they run towards the village of Nimfes at the 28th km with beautiful waterfalls and they find the second central food station. The course continuous towards the traditional and spectacular villages of Klimatia at the 34th km with water supply and Kastellanous Girou, then to Alimatades and runs uphill to the mountain top of “Kratsalos” towards a monastery. Reaching the village of Lakones at the 50th km, we find the food station with the supporter bags, then the course passes through Giannades at the 62th km with water supply and then gets to the village of Vatos at the 70th km with the 4th food station. It is worth to give some notice to the famous region of Paleokastritsa. This is one of the most beautiful views of the island harmonizing the green color of the vegetation with the deep blue color of the sea. From here the runners continue on an asphalt road for 2 km next to the bar Acapulco and enter the trail to reach the beautiful village of Liapades. From here through dirt roads the course runs towards Ermones passing through the beaches of Myrtiotissa, Glyfada, Kontogialo, reaches the village of Varypatades at the 76th km with water supply and on a dirt road passes the villages of Kouramades, Kastellani at the 83th km with a food station. The course turns towards the village of Agoi Deka at the 88th km with water supply and runs downhill to the village of Garouna on a traditional dirt road not so technical. The athletes pass through the huge olive trees until they reach the village of Stavros at the 93th km with the last food station. Leaving Stavros they continue towards Komianata where the trail leads to the church Pantokratora Stavrou and run downhill to the village of Stroggily at the 98th km. The course turns uphill to the left until the peak of the hill for 500m on asphalt road where they find at their right hand the trail that leads them to Episkopiana, then run downhill to reach the finish line in the village of Moraitika in the Messoghi Hotel.
RAIN TRAIL (40 km)
The course has 2200m + elevation and starts from the village of Moraitika passes through the village and through dirt roads runs uphill to the village of Episkopiana at the 4th km with water supply. At the right side the athletes can see the spectacular view running uphill on a dirt road, passing through the village they continue on a traditional gravel trail for 2,5 kms and reach the village of Stroggily. They turn to the right and continue on a dirt road for about 1 km. The course then changes to more technical and rocky but with a beautiful view of the Mainland of Greece. At the 8th km the athletes run downhill on a technical trail through oak trees and Daphne. At their right side they meet a wonderful cave and after that the trail turns uphill. The course is technical and continues to run in dense vegetation for the next 2,5 km. Afterward it reaches the peak of the mountain where the trail becomes rocky enough and needs more attention. The runners run downhill for about 1 km and reach the central food station in Stavros at the 10th km. The course continues in a steep technical trail until the Monastery of Agias Paraskevis where the athletes will find a water source and then turn to the left on a dirt road for about 1,5 km. Leaving the dirt road they turn to the right and on a trail they get to the outside of the village of Benitses. They move in circles around the village on an asphalt road for about 2 km and run towards the Achilleio Palace. Before reaching the Achilleio the course turns to the left to a dirt trail and runs uphill to the Monastery of Agias Kyriakis at the 18th km with water supply. From there following a traditional gravel trail they reach the village of Gastouri and pass the Platanos Water Source and run towards the village of Agioi Deka. They enter the village through traditional little roads and run uphill on the gravel trail that moves in circles to the central food station at the Monastery of Agioi Deka at the 26th km. After that they continue downhill towards the village of Ano Garouna on a traditional trail not so technical until the village of Stavros at the 30th km with the next food station. Leaving Stavros they reach the village of Komianata that leads through a technical gravel trail to the Church of Pantokratora Stavrou and run downhill to the village of Stroggily at the 37th km with water supply. The course turns uphill to the left until the top of the hill for 500m on an asphalt road where they meet at their right hand the trail that leads them to Episkopiana, then run downhill to reach the finish line in the village of Moraitika in the Messoghi Hotel.
OLIVE TREE TRAIL (20 km)
The course of the 20 km has 1200 m + elevation and starts from the village of Moraitika. It passes through the village and through a dirt road runs uphill until the village of Episkopiana at the 4th km with a water station. Running uphill on a dirt road the ahtletes can see the beautiful view. After passing the village the course continues on a traditional gravel trail for 2,5 km and reaches the village of Stroggily. The athletes turn to the right and continue on a dirt road for about 1 km. The course becomes more technical and stony but has a beautiful view of the Mainland of Greece. At the 8th km the course runs downhill on a technical trail through dense vegetation of oak trees and Daphne. At the right side the athletes find a wonderful cave and continue uphill on a technical trail through dense vegetation for the next 2,5 km. Afterward reaching the top of the mountain the course becomes stony and needs more attention. The athletes then run downhill for 1 km and reach the central food station of Stavros at the 10th km. Leaving Stavros they reach the village of Komianata that leads through a technical gravel trail to the Church of Pantokratora Stavrou and run downhill to the village of Stroggily with water supply. The course turns uphill to the left until the top of the hill for 500m on an asphalt road where they find at their right hand the trail that leads them to Episkopiana, then run downhill to reach the finish line in the village of Moraitika in the Messoghi Hotel.
QUICK TRAIL (10 km)
The course has 300 m + elevation and starts from the village of Moraitika, passes through the village and through a dirt road with a spectacular view runs uphill to the village of Episkopiana at the 4th km with water supply. Then it runs downhill until reaching the finish line in the village of Moraitika.
8. The time limits to complete the courses are the following:
QUICK TRAIL (10 km) 3 hours
OLIVE TREE TRAIL ( 20 km) 5 hours
RAIN TRAIL (40 km) 10 hours
NIGHT DAY TRAIL (112 km) 28 hours
The athletes who withdraw from the race for any reason are responsible to inform the jury of the nearest check point. The athletes who are judged by the official jury not to finish the race are obliged to withdraw from the race and give back their number. If they choose to continue the race they will take all the responsibility for it. The athletes who cross the finish line after the time limits are not validated finishers of the race. Finishing the race is validated only if the athlete completes the race in the given time limit.
9. RACE NUMBER.
Every athlete is required to wear his/her race number on the front of his/her T-shirt where it is easily visible. The race number cannot be folded or changed in any other way.
10. OVERTAKING ANOTHER ATHLETE.
Every athlete who is reached by a faster one is obliged to pull off if asked to so the overtaking will take place quickly and safely.
11. ESCORTING COMPANY. It is forbidden for the athletes to run together on any part of the course with friends or relatives who are not registered racers. If an athlete wants to run with his/her pet, it is allowed only if the pet will not disturb the other athletes.
12. EXTERNAL SUPPORT. Every external help or technical support is forbidden through the race, as well as the use of any motorized vehicle. Running poles, compass, map, GPS, mobile phones are permitted.
13. GARBAGE. It is strictly forbidden to throw away any kind of package material on the whole course. For the violation of this rule the athlete can be punished even with disqualification from the race.
14. FOOD STATIONS. In the Corfu Mountain Trail Ultra (112 km) there are 6 central food stations in the villages of Peritheia, Nymfes, Lakones, Vatos, Kastellani, Stavros as well as in-between water stations. In the Rain Trail (40 km) there are 3 central food stations in the Monastery of Pantokratoras, in Stavros and in the Monastery of Agioi Deka, as well as in-between water stations. In the Olive Tree Trail (20 km) there is one food station in Stavros and 3 stations with access to drinkable water.
15. CHECK POINTS.
On the course of the Corfu Mountain Trail Ultra (112 km) there are 16 check points. The checkpoints have the following cut-off times:
• Nimfes at 30 km – 7 h
• Lakones at 54 km – 14 h
• Kastellani at 87 km – 22 h
On the course of the Rain Trail (40 km) there are 6 check points. The checkpoints have the following cut-off times:
• Stavros at 10 km – 3h
• Agioi Deka at 26 km – 6h
On the course of the Olive Trail (20 km) there are 3 check points. The checkpoint has the following cut-off time:
• Stavros at 10 km – 3h
On the course of the Quick Trail (10 km) there is one check point.
The athletes are obliged to be recorded by the jury at the check points. If the athlete has not been recorded at every check point he/she is out of race. If an athlete decides to change the course while running for any reason from the one that he/she is registered, he/she is automatically out of race.
16. EQUIPMENT. The athletes are not obliged to carry special equipment, except for a water tank or drink vessels, because at the stations the athletes can drink the fluids from their own containers on the courses of the 8 km, 20 km and 40 km. For the course of 20 km and 40 km especially for the least experienced athletes it is recommended by the race organization committee to carry a small bag pack with water tank, wind jacket, solid food, elastic bandage, whistle, mobile phone, torch light, some money, and a map of the mountain. For the course of the Corfu Mountain Trail Ultra (110 km) the athletes are obliged to carry the following equipment. The race organizers will perform random checks prior to the race start and at various check points on whether the mandatory equipment is indeed being carried along. If mandatory equipment were to be missing, the participant in question will be disqualified from the race.
Mandatory equipment for the Corfu Mountain Trail Ultra (112 km):
1. 2 head lights
2. extra batteries
3. waterproof rain coat
4. aluminium blanket
6. elastic bandage
7. extra T-shirt
8. water tank
9. mobile phone
10. solid food (1000 kCal)
Mandatory equipment for the Corfu Mountain Trail (rain trail 40 km):
1. head lights
2. extra batteries
3. aluminium blanket
5. elastic bandage
6. extra T-shirt
7. water tank
8. mobile phone
9. solid food (500 kCal)
17. PENALTIES AND DISQUALIFICATIONS. All of the following violations of the rules disqualify the athletes:
• No show up or change of race number
• Acceptance of external support
• Use of motorized vehicle
• Throwing away garbage
• Change between the courses of 10km-20km-40km-112km
• Disabling other athletes or gross unsportsmanlike behavior
• Disregard of the directives of the race and course director, medical crew, officials at the check points, or officials within and trailing the field
• Missing one of the checkpoints
• Refusal of doping check.
• Refusal to be subjected to medical examination by the medical crew of the race if it is judged necessary any time during the course of the race.
• Withdrawal from the race without informing the jury disqualifies the athlete from all the future races.
18. APPEALS. Appeals can be raised for any reason only by the same athlete until 30 minutes after completing the race. Any decision of the jury is final and not to be discussed further.
19. RACE COMMITEE. The race committee who is responsible for any problem or appeal that occurs during the time of the race consists of: the Race Director, the Route Official, the Safety Official and the Jury Official.
20. SAFETY. The race organization takes care of the courses as carefully as possible to avoid any unexpected incidence and offers medical care to the athletes who are in need.
21. CHANGIN THE ROUTE. The organization committee has the right to change the route of the courses if for any reason a danger occurs for the better safety of the athletes. As well as the start of the race can be delayed, canceled or transferred if necessary because of the whether conditions or for any other external reason.
22. PRIZE. The first 3 winners of each category of every course will receive a prize. Race medals will be given to all the athletes who will complete the race in the given time limit. Every registered athlete will receive a technical race T-shirt. There will be free meal after the race for every athlete.
23. ADVERTISEMENT. Signing the registration every athlete gives permission to the organization committee for photo and video recording him/her during the race or during the award ceremony for the use of future advertisement.
24. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER. The organizer committee does not take responsibility for any death, accident or any kind of health problem of the athletes. Every participant registering for the race declare that he/she is aware of the dangers of racing in natural environment in the mountains, that they have the required experience and that the sate of their health is in good condition to take part in the race. Every athlete is responsible to undergo the regular preventive medical examinations. The organization committee has the right to prohibit an athlete from completing the race if it is judged by the medical crew of the race organization committee. The insurance of the athletes is their own responsibility.
25. RULE MODIFICATION. The organization committee has the right to modify the present rules and regulations of the race without any previous announcement if it is judged necessary. In any case the modification will not change the nature of the race.